20 Dec Are Acne Scars Treatable
What Is Acne Scarring?
Acne scars are changes in the texture and color of skin due to deep and severe inflammation and infection. Acne scarring is often seen on the face, chest and back. There are a number of different types of acne scars including boxcar, icepick, rolling, atrophic and hypertrophic scars.
Acne scarring can often be a source of insecurity for those suffering its effects. The good news is that there are many treatment options available to reduce visible scarring.
What Treatments Are Available For Acne Scarring?
The treatment methods used to reduce acne scars vary with skin colour, type of scars, severity of scars, secondary skin colour changes and budget. Some of the common treatments include:
- Dermapen skin needling: gentle process to stimulate collagen and tightens skin
- Chemical Peels: TCA and Vitamin A peels are relatively gentle treatments
- Radiofrequency (RF): delivers RF energy directly into the deeper layers of the dermis
- Vascular / Pigment lasers: specifically targeting redness and pigment in the skin
- Fraxel 1550 Laser: delivers fractional nonablative laser energy to stimulate collagen
- CO2 laser: delivers high intensity ablative laser energy to remodel and stimulate collagen
- Dermal Fillers: Used to lift the skin surface, reducing the effect of the scar
All of these treatments are available at Elysium Skin Centre
An Acne Scarring Case Study
As published on the Fraxel Laser website, this patient underwent one session of Fraxel CO2 laser skin resurfacing. This laser uses energy from carbon dioxide (CO2) to vaporize microscopic columns of tissue deep within the skin. The CO2 laser treatment is a more aggressive procedure when compared to the Fraxel 1550 laser. It is used to effectively treat moderate to severe acne scars with a downtime of 7 – 10 days. Most patients see noticeable results after the first treatment with the skin surface looking plumper and brighter, and displaying a more even tone. Over the following 3 – 6 months, the skin will continue to show further improvements. Most patients generally only need 1 – 2 sessions of CO2 laser treatment for moderately severe acne scars, with more treatment sessions needed for those with severe scarring.
Book Your Acne Scar Treatment at Elysium Skin Centre
If you are concerned by acne scarring and want advice on treatment, contact us at Elysium Skin Centre Brisbane to book a consultation. Dr Csilla has 25 years’ experience in acne treatment and laser therapy. After a detailed consultation and assessment, Dr Csilla will prescribe a treatment program designed specifically for your skin condition, skin type, downtime requirements and budget.