14 Sep Legs: Common Skin Concerns & How To Treat Them
Even your legs are susceptible to skin concerns such as veins, wrinkles, and sun damage. We often have clients come to us for assistance in reducing the appearance of veins, wrinkles, and sun damage on their legs. It’s very common to develop these kinds of problems as we age, but if you find yourself wearing long pants even in warmer weather because you feel self-conscious about them, there are options. We understand this feeling and want you to be comfortable in your own skin, so we’ve put together some treatment options for you to consider.
It can be discouraging to feel embarrassed about veins on your legs, and there are various kinds of veins that can develop like spider veins, varicose veins, capillaries, and reticular veins. Based on advice from our experienced doctors, there are a few great treatments that can minimise the appearance of these veins.
- Excel V Laser– This treatment uses lasers to target the abnormal blood vessels and cauterise them. It is a great option for reducing superficial veins such as spider veins and fine matted vessels on your legs.
- Microsclerotherapy – With small injections of a special solution into the vein, this treatment destroys spider veins and minimises their visibility on your legs.
- Ultrasound Guided Foam Sclerotherapy (UGFS) – This is a form of injection therapy designed for small to medium sized leg veins and is usually performed alongside Endovenous Laser Ablation for best results.
- Endovenous Laser Ablation (ELA) – This is the best non-surgical treatment for varicose veins. It uses tiny laser fibres to thwart the abnormal veins and smooth out the skin.
UV light from the sun can weaken your skin and reduce elasticity, which can cause creases and wrinkles, even on your legs. Wrinkles can also develop over time from frequent contraction and expansion of muscles which stretches the skin. If you’ve noticed some lines or wrinkles that you’d feel more confident without, you’re not alone. Fortunately, it is an easy process to minimise them with one of our treatments.
- Fraxel Laser – Fraxel treatments promote the replacement of old skin cells with new, significantly reducing wrinkles and lines.
- Secret RF (radiofrequency) – This treatment uses heat and micro-needling to tighten and smooth the skin.
- Ultherapy – The Ultherapy device uses ultrasound energy to heat the skin and deeper tissues to improve crepey skin and sagging.
- PRP therapy – Platelet Rich Plasma injections using your own blood is a great natural way to stimulate collagen and elastin in the skin to tighten wrinkly skin on the legs.
- Biostimulator injections – These are injections of chemicals into the skin which promote increased collagen growth to smooth the skin.
Sun Damaged Legs
The Australian sun is severe, and our Brisbane climate means that we may be vulnerable to sun damage. When our skin is exposed to harsh UV rays, our skin cells can be damaged which may result in weakened skin and pigmentation. Sun damage can occur as the early development of wrinkles, scaly skin, and actinic keratoses (sunspots). For any concerns regarding sun damaged legs, you could consider one of the following procedures.
- Fraxel Laser – As well as treating wrinkles, Fraxel can also reverse the physical manifestations of sun damage including sunspots and other pigmentation, leaving you with more even-toned and smooth legs.
- Excel V Laser – This treatment can treat a wide range of sun damage concerns. It uses lasers to target multiple layers of skin and boost growth of new cells, reducing pigmentation on your legs.
- IPL – Intense Pulsed Light therapy reduces pigment and redness in sun damaged skin, giving the legs a more rejuvenated appearance.
Are you tired of wearing jeans or long pants all the time? Do you want to wear shorts in summer and feel confident showing off your legs? If you would like to discuss your concerns with our friendly staff, we can formulate a treatment plan to ensure you receive the results you are looking for.